It is hard to believe our youngest is already one year old! Carson's first birthday was on August 17th, and we hosted a whale themed BBQ to celebrate his big day. Because the 17th was a Monday and not a holiday of any kind, we decided to host a casual "drop in" style evening.
We chose the whale theme because a) I love whales and b) Carson loves the water. I noticed this when going back through photos from his first year. At almost every "monthly milestone", he was in a tub, lake, pool…you name it. In response to lots of social media questions (thanks guys!), here are some details from the event:
1. Birthday Style - Carson had two "looks" for the evening. He wore his 'The Wild Kids Apparel' Whale Onesie for the bulk of the evening, and then changed into his adorable little gingham bow tie from ReFluff* (watch for ReFluff's awesome reusable coffee sleeves in the shop soon!). I have a thing for bow ties, and it made for extra cute photos during the "attacking of the cake".
2. The Cookies and Cakes - I confess that I went a little overboard here (he only turns one once), but have zero regrets, because Pam from Sugar Shimmer/Black and White Bakeshop absolutely hit it out of the park. I asked for a whale slab cake for the guests, a giant blue "smash" cupcake for Carson, and whale cookies for the older kids. Everything was amazing and our guests raved about how delicious (and not too sweet) everything was. Carson dove face first into his cupcake. If you are in the Calgary area, you MUST check out Pam's amazing work. You can find her here for the cakes or here for the cookies.
3. The Decorations - We have a painting in our house that my Husband indulgently lets me "gift wrap" for any birthday bash or party we host. It makes for a great backdrop to the food table and doesn't wreck the integrity of the painting. I wrapped it in lime green and white gift wrap, and then hung my lovely Custom Genie Woo Tassel Garland (similar to the ones carried in the shop, here) and Dixie and Twine "Happy 1st Birthday Carson" Banners. Dixie and Twine does some awesome confetti bags for Little Blue Canoe, and they did a custom one for this party so that I could place candy sticks in little glass vases. Fun! The plates, napkins, etc. were from Party City and the "Ocean Preppy - Boy" theme. I loved the lime and dark blue colour scheme to them.
5. Food and Refreshments - We went with the "simpler is better" philosophy when it came to food and beverages, opting to serve beef or chicken burgers, some dips, salads, veggies, and an assortment of regular or sparkling water (which I called "sea water", because sparkling water has an ever so small amount of naturally occurring mineral salts) and lemon/orange San Pellegrino or Coke Zero for those watching their sugar intake.
6. Treat Bags & Gift Tags - I picked up gift bags from the local dollar store and made gift tags using whale stickers. I am a scrapbooker at heart, so I am all over any chance I can get to "get crafty"! The wee ones got wooden ocean themed puzzles, and the older kids got colouring books, stickers, crayons and a lollipop.
Thank you for sharing in Carson's special day! I hope you enjoyed some of these special moments from his first birthday party.